Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Keeping Track of Homework

Happy Tuesday everyone!  I'm linking up with the fabulous Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for her weekly linky party, "Tried It Tuesday."  I have gotten SO MANY awesome ideas from other bloggers that I figured it was time that I started doing my share and posting some ideas, so here goes...


Over the years, I have really started cutting down on the amount of homework I assign.  Many of my students do not have anyone at home to help them (or supervise them).  We work really hard during the day so the kiddos need time to rest up and be ready for our next day of learning.  I assign 20 minutes of reading a night along with something small from math. 

However, there are times when I do send things home to be finished.  My dilemma has always been how to keep track of students who have turned in their homework on time, and those who haven't.  This year's class seems to have a few friends who just can't seem to get it together, so late work is a constant issue for some. 

I have come up with a system that seems to work pretty well.  Each student has an assigned number that is theirs throughout the whole year.  When I assign homework, I put the assignment and a list of student numbers on the front board.  When the kids come in and turn in their homework every morning, they erase their number.  The students who have not completed their homework (as shown by not erasing their number) must finish it at recess and get some money deducted from their monthly paycheck of Collegiate Cash.  Here is what our board looks like for tomorrow morning:


As you can see, it's pretty simple -- but it works!  (And it isn't a piece of paper that can get lost on my desk!  :)

What kinds of management tricks have you tried to keep track of homework?  I'd love to hear from you!  Why not head over to Fourth Grade Flipper and link up with your great ideas!  Holly is even having a great giveaway to celebrate having 500 followers.  There are 50 prizes available and there will be four winners.  WOW!!!

Have a great rest of your week!

4 comments:

  1. I love having my students have numbers. It helps with a ton of organizational "things" in the classroom. You have a great system!

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great way to keep track! I need to try this to see if it will work for me! Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great system! I struggle with keeping track too. We keep students back from recess that are behind but sometimes some fall through the cracks because I don't have time to check the turned in HW before recess! Thank you for sharing your great method:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)