Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Student Wordles

Just a quick post today to share a very fun activity we did today in class involving Wordle and our end-of-year reflections. 

I always have my students write a year-end ABC Memory Book about things they learned each year.  This year, I found a fantastic ABC book from Fifth in the Middle that was so cute, I just had to use it!  If you are looking to complete a project like this, check it out!

As a part of this activity, I had my students complete a Wordle.  We went into the computer lab, each of us logged onto Wordle, then typed our names three times into a new project so our name would appear the largest word on the page.  We then rotated around the lab and typed one word or phrase into each student's project.

When thinking of words to include, I asked students to consider:
  • What do you think each student is good at?
  • What word could describe each student?
  • Is there something each student is known for?
I was truly impressed with some of the thoughtful words my students came up with!

By the time we were finished, we had our name (typed three times) and a list of 18 adjectives that could be used to describe us. Once we got back to our own Wordle, we could mess around with the fonts and colors until we found one we liked.  Here's a sample:



I especially like mine!  :)  Although I'm not sure what "The Big Boss" means....

 

I then collected the Wordles and we will glue them onto our ABC Memory books when we are finished with them.  I will then let my students autograph each other's memory books on the back cover, kind of like you do in a yearbook.  I think this will be a nice memory of their 4th grade year!

So what kinds of projects do you do to end the year?  Leave a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I did something similar to this after seeing it on Pinterest! We wrote compliments about each person, then I typed them in and made the wordles. After I printed them out, we framed them in cheap frames from the dollar store. It was their end of the year gift. They LOVED it. One of more tough boys even said "I'm going to keep this forever!"

    Brenda
    teamedupteachers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the ABC review! I know that my students are enjoying is as well :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea!! Might try to implement it next year for my 6th graders! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)